10 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, small
- 2 cups brown basmati rice
- 1 3/4 cup 33% reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 1 teaspoon packed fresh oregano leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 1/4 lb raw chicken breast
- Dice onion.
- Using 6 qt Instant Pot, turn on to sauté mode on normal heat.
- Heat olive oil and sauté onions until translucent, 3 minutes.
- Press CANCEL to turn off Instant Pot.
- Add broth and brown rice to the pot and mix with onions.
- Stir in frozen carrots, frozen peas, frozen corn, turmeric, saffron, oregano, bay leaf and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. IMPORTANT: Stir the rice and veggies to make sure to fully incorporate vegetables with the rice.
- Arrange chicken breasts on top of rice mixture; season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Push chicken down into the rice with some veggies on top of the chicken.
- Secure lid on Instant Pot, and turn nozzle to seal.
- Cook on manual setting with high pressure for 25 minutes.
- NOTE: It takes 15 minutes for this dish to reach pressure!
- Once time is up, allow pressure to go into “keep warm” mode for 10 minutes to allow the pressure to release some naturally. Then press cancel on the Instant Pot and twist the steam release handle on the lid to the venting position.
- Once steam has released, open Instant Pot lid to shred the chicken and gently fluff into the rice mixture with a fork.
- Carefully remove the inner pot to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom.